How to pass the FTMO challenge?
Manual vs Expert Advisor
Manually trading is generally more accurate but comes with a trade-off of lots of screen time. A good Expert Advisor has the ability to compensate for imperfect entries with some lightly 'aggressive' features like additional position if price retraces.
The do NOT's:
- Do not trade an Expert Advisor without at least 1 month of demo account testing. Backtests are just an initial viability check but are far from real market confirmation. Be patient, and run your EA on a VPN for a minimum of 1 month. Review that it passed FTMO's criteria. e.g 5% daily drawdown, 10% total drawdown, 10% profit target. Base this on equity, not closed trades, because equity drawdowns are likely higher than the closed trades.
- Do not proceed without a statistical evaluation of your strategy. If your strategy isn't statistically robust, you will eventually lose money. I've provided some examples below.
- Have you been practicing on the same leverage? FTMO uses 1:100 which may be smaller than you've been using. This will limit about of simultaneous trades available and margin calls.
- Do a 'risk of ruin' calculation. You'll need your win rate, average win, average loss. You want it to be statistically 'impossible' to fail the FTMO 10% max drawdown limit, so input 8% drawdown as a buffer. Adjust you risk so that it equals close to 0% for an 8% drawdown from 2000 trades. See the free MyFXBook calculator
- Can your strategy absorb irregular market behavior like news releases? You can't just hope a big market move doesn't happen during the FTMO challenge.
- Asset robustness. You should be able to run on different currencies without the strategy crashing. If it does, you may have over-optimized for one asset which will ultimately lead to failure.
- Timeframe robustness. You should be able to run on different timeframes without the strategy crashing. If it does, you may have over-optimized for one timeframe which will ultimately lead to failure.
- Frequency. It needs to be relatively frequent. The FTMO challenge requires 10 trade days within 30 days.
Most Trusted FTMO Strategies
Crypto Expert Advisors is the leading source of FTMO Strategies.
The goal is transparency, robustness, low risk, reliability.
All strategies are backtested, live tested, and actually used on FTMO.